Wednesday, March 26, 2014

The New(ish) People of the Shop, or A Few More Conversations with The Butcher's Apprentice

Miles
Date:  Actually Miles and I had this conversation more than once.  I guess he has a poor memory. 

Miles is asking me about my hobbies.  I tell him that I play soccer.
            “That’s really cool!  I bet you score a lotta goals!”
            “Actually, I stop the goals, because I’m a keeper.”  That’s right boys; line forms to the left.
            He looks at me very seriously.  “Now . . . why are you doin’ that?  Goalie is for the ugly girls.”


 
            “Wow, you seem to know a lot about soccer.”  Walkawaywalkawaywalkaway. 

Date:  Unknown 

            Miles is taking a break, sitting in front of the water cooler.  I excuse myself to get by him so I can get a drink.
            “Sure, baby, sure; you can have whatever you want.”
            “Um . . . thanks.”  I just want some water.
            “Fine as you are, the world is yours.”
            “Don’t I fuckin’ know it.”  I’d never dream of saying something that arrogant to anyone at my day job.  Conversely, no one at my day job would dream of making as slimy a comment as Miles just did.  In the workplace.   

*                      *                      *

Luke Johnson
March 1:  Mardi Gras 

Grace and Burt’s eldest son has finally graduated from college.  Now that he’s home all the time, his parents are putting him to good use.  I’ve seen him at the shop a lot lately.  As usual, he doesn’t acknowledge me until I say good morning (or afternoon) to him.
            “So I joined a gym.”
            I look around, wondering who he’s talking to.  Nobody else up front . . . I guess I’m the chosen one. . . .
            “Yeah?”
            “Yeah Club Fitness.  Had my first session with a personal trainer yesterday, she was totally hitting on me.”
            “Really.”
            “Totally.”
            I joined Club Fitness for a month once—because I was going to be on vacation a lot over the holidays and it’s closer to my house than the gym at work.  I remember them “assigning” me a handsome, buff, bronzed, clean-shaven guy as a trainer.  (I guess I look like the type of girl who goes after pretty boys?)  It’s all part of the racket. 
            “I told some girls about it at the bar last night.”
            “And I bet they all took their panties off right then and there, didn’t they?”
            He scoffs, “I wish.  It was at Field’s.”
            Blank stare.
            “It’s a bar in Clayton.”
            Is this supposed to mean something to me?
            “I’m like a regular there.”
            I . . . still . . . can someone please explain what is happening here?
 
Later on that same day

            Break time.  Relaxing in back; resting my feet on a chair, checking my phone.
            Luke wanders along.  “Do you rage?”
            “Do I ‘rage’?”
            “Yeah do you go clubbin’?”
            “H—do you have any clue who you’re talking to?”  Child I am six years older than you.
            “I dunno I mean you look like you do.  You look like you grind all up on big black dudes’ dicks all night.”
            Here is a picture of what my brain looks like at this particular moment:

 
            “Yup, that’s me!  Every night.”  Back to work I guess. 

 
            Luke props himself up on the counter and watches me trim tenderloin for the case.
“Ugh so many girls texting me!”
            I glance over and raise an eyebrow, but continue my work.
            “I’m supposed to be down at the parade right now but I’m working instead.” 
             Today is the big Mardi Gras parade downtown; I couldn’t care less.  Large crowds of shitfaced suburbanites is not my idea of a good time.  But Luke huffs and puffs and hems and haws until Grace decides she’s had enough and tells him to leave.
            He throws off his apron and says, “L-John out.” 

*                      *                      * 

March 6
Cory 

            “He did not say that.”
            “He did!  He even had a hand gesture to go with it.”
            Cory laughs.
            “Is he for real?” I ask.  “I feel like he is a caricature of a real person.”
            “Oh he’s for real.”
            “I don’t get it.”
            “Well you’re not . . . the typical girl he’s used to hanging around.”
            At that we cheers.  He drinks red wine from a rocks glass; I drink beer.  From a beer glass.  We talk about our respective love of meat, and our respective disenchantment with the opposite sex.  I beat him in a game of pool.  He tells me about his various butchering experiences around the city, and how he got to where he is:  Pit Master at a restaurant that was voted Best BBQ in St. Louis—over two restaurants that have already been voted Best BBQ in the Country.  This guy is going places. 
As the business grows, he plans to grow with it:  “I’ve still got a couple tricks up my sleeve.  You’re one of them.”
What?!?  I’m a trick!  Up the sleeve of the greatest Pit Master in St. Louis??  Total meat-nerd moment.  I’m more flattered than I can express in this moment, but I think I manage to stammer out, “Well that’s just . . . what?  Awesome, dude!”   

Felt like being fancy.  Made crab-stuffed peppers and spicy couscous. 


Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment