Friday, February 26, 2016

Some Girls get Roses

Some girls get roses for Valentine’s Day.
            If you’ve been following along for any length of time, you may have surmised by now that I am, in fact, not one of those girls. 
            There was a time when I gave whatever cursory attention I could to the holiday, but those were the days of giving a valentine to everyone in the class.  Since then, I’ve always made sure that I have something to do on the V-day—work, volunteer—anything to take the focus off of the VD and place it somewhere else.  It’s not that I didn’t care about love, or even that I didn’t have anyone to share it with.  It’s just that if you love someone—platonically or romantically—you should show them every day; there shouldn’t need to be only one designated day on which to celebrate it. 
            What a cruel hand Fate dealt me then, when I met Frank.  On Valentine’s Day.        

            That’s right, the day that I “quit” the shop, I met the man of my dreams.  Should I have taken that as a sign?  Quit shop:  receive reward.  I think I did, otherwise I probably would’ve come back to the shop sooner.
            
            I know that VD is the holiday with the highest demand for filet mignon, and guess what my specialty is?  Filet goddamn mignon. 
So I’m going to be up to my elbows in beef tenderloin all weekend. 
How romantic. 
Except I tell them that no, I will not be working on the 14th, because Frank has some sort of adventure planned for us.  All I know is that we’ll be down near Sullivan, MO; hiking a minimum of two miles and a maximum of four with a possible creek crossing, and leaving the trail to search for some sort of landmark.  I’m in charge of snacks (jerky, trail mix, protein bars, and more jerky) and picking a place to eat dinner (Cracker Barrel). 
Instead I’ll be working late the two days leading up to VD.  (And yes, I’m going to keep calling it that.)
I show up Friday expecting it to be all hands on deck and pizza ordered for dinner, since they know I’m coming straight from my other job and my hour-and-a-half long workout.  Instead I find Tommy and Grace and silence. 
They’re leaving.
“You’ll be fine here alone, right?” Grace says more than asks.
Sure. . . .  “Do you mind if I call Frank to come walk me out around nine?”
“Of course not.  We’ll lock you in,” she reassures me.
“If you need anything, you call me; don’t text,” Tommy commands in his best big brother voice.
Oh boy, the whole shop to myself on a quiet Friday night, what more could a girl ask for? 
Music.  Music would be nice, because it’s too quiet. 
Burt keeps a couple radios in the back room to listen to sports games and conservative talk radio, so I go hunting for one.
. . . and come up empty-handed.  He must’ve taken them home.
While I’m fishing around the back room, the doorbell goes off, alerting me that someone has just come in the front door.
I freeze.
The fuck?
The “Open” sign is turned off.  Did they really leave the door unlocked?
Slowly, I poke my head around the corner and peer out front.
No movement.
No noise.
I take a breath. 
As I pass the cutting board, I grab the first knife I see, and then step out from behind the register.
Nobody here but me.
Well that’s one way to get my heartrate up.
Now I text Frank to see if he’s available at 9.  Or before.
The bell goes off a few more times, jolting me awake each time.
I grab some seafood gumbo out of the Cajun freezer and start thawing it in the microwave for my dinner.
Another bell dings, but this time it’s my phone.
“I’m at the ballroom tonight for a bit.  I will leave there around 10:30.  Get to your place around 11.” 
That’s not really an answer.
“Did you see my last 2 texts?”
He did; that was his response.  Damn my boyfriend for working so many jobs.
Okay well I’m not walking out of here alone tonight so I decide to text Sam.  When in doubt, call the guy who used to be a strip club bouncer!


  
“Look who finally decided to show up,” Gus greets me the next day.
“Gus, when I work until ten o’clock at night, this is when I come in.”  Two o’clock in the afternoon, that is.  Eleven is the latest I’ll stay tonight. 
Steady Leroy is working in the back room today, trimming tenderloins for me.  He’s been here since 7am, even though he was in a hit-and-run on the highway this morning; he’s not hurt, but his car needs a couple hundred dollars’ worth of work. 
Before the shop even closes for the day, we run out of trimmed tenderloin.
“How could we run out?  Leroy was trimming all day!” Grace complains.  She was in a car accident a few weeks ago as well; broke her knife hand, so she’s only able to work in a supervisory capacity right now.  Mostly she just chats with customers all day—many of whom are only here to check up on how she’s doing anyways. 
Tommy comments, “He trimmed about three cases.”  Then adds, “I saw him put one in his car. . . .”
“Don’t you do that,” Gus orders.
“What?” Tommy shrugs with false innocence.
“Don’t say that about Leroy, he’s a good man.  We need him around.”
Look at Gus, standing up to Tommy.

Tommy’s not having too much luck lately.  His mom sent me a friend request on Facebook a few weeks ago, probably because he keeps tagging me in his posts and pictures of the shop.  Last night I posted pics of all the filets I cut, and she commented on it:  “I don’t really know you but do you work with my oldest son, Tommy, at a store founded by his grandfather in the 1940s’  Sorry to sound so clueless.”
Since she didn’t use a question mark, I thought she was stating that I work with Tommy, which I obviously already know, so my response was, “Hi Tommy’s mom!!” 
Then Tommy chimed in:



And Tommy’s mom just tore into him:  “TAB stop writing these cartoon comments and speak to your mom in ‘real life’ …. But perhaps cartoons are your real life.  ALL I WANT TO DO IS HEAR YOUR REAL LIVE VOICE …. SO DOES FLOYD AND EVEN JOEY!!!!!!!”  (TAB are Tommy’s initials.)
Tommy’s reply:



Tommy’s mom:  “YOU KNOW WHAT I SAID!!!!!!!!!!”
Tommy:



And that . . . is exactly why I accepted her friend request.
            However . . . then she started replying to all my other friends’ comments on the post and soon I was getting private messages asking, “Who is this crazy lady and what is her problem?”
            There is no doubt in my mind . . . this woman certainly birthed and raised our dear Tommy boy. 

*                      *                      *

            “Would you be interested in an edible 11 week old broiler cross rooster?  He’s semi-friendly, about 3 pounds, and LOUD.  I can’t do the deed.  Since I love him, I’d rather he go to the stomach of a friend.  He’s Ninja’s son.  Not sure who his mom is.”
            Frank has a friend raising far too many chickens in far too small a yard in a far-too-urban area of town, and has become far too attached to them to slaughter them in a timely manner. 
            “Yes.  I can come over Monday.” 
            “I’d rather he just leave intact and enjoy freezer college somewhere else.  Just remember the 36 hour fridge rest necessary to clear rigormortis.  If that won’t work for you, that’s ok.” 
            “Let me talk to Frank.”  My apartment lacks the proper outdoor space for performing sacrifice rituals. 
            Frank says we are in.
            “Thank you for enjoying him.  Well, at least he got to live 11 weeks past when he was supposed to be an omelet.”
            “He had a good life, and he will be respected in death.”
            “That’s all we can really ask for in our own lives, eh?  His mom may throw a few eggs your way, I’ll go check her butt.”  Then, as an addendum, she texts:  “I just realized I’m basically giving you two a sacrifice at the anniversary of your meeting.”
            I think it’s quite fitting.

The chicken isn’t my actual anniversary present.  Frank got me this!  (And another surprise that is still stuck in customs.)



            On the right we have an adult coloring book (shut up I love it).  In the middle we have a “meat heart for my sweetheart,” which is charcuterie from the butcher shop where I wish I worked.  We need to come up with a better name for that place.  How about Meat Envy? 
Finally, on the left we have chocolate-dipped, espresso-encrusted cheese, and I know what you’re thinking:  “These are my three favorite things ever, but there’s no possible way that they could ever work together.”  Well, let me assure you my friends, they make a stellar combination. 
We weren’t able to go on our hike because it snowed on the 14th, and our destination required a two-hour drive which included 15 miles on gravel country roads.  There was no way we would make it in either of our vehicles, so we walked around the park instead.



            To prepare for the chicken, I watched these two videos almost religiously:



            So President’s Day finds us transporting a live rooster in a cardboard box in the backseat of Frank’s truck. 
            I fill a stock pot two-thirds of the way full with water and put it on the stove to start heating up.  The ideal temperature for scalding is 140°-160°F; Frank has a digital laser thermometer he can use in order to check it. 
            I’ve brought my red apron, my knife kit, and a box of vinyl gloves. 
            We decide to start when the pot begins to boil; by the time we’re ready to scald, the water will have cooled enough. 
            Frank binds the rooster’s legs and hangs him upside down from a step ladder.  The young guy partially spreads his wings in confusion, but doesn’t flap.  Hanging there, he looks kind of like upside-down Jesus.
            It’s sunny and cold outside, but the chicken is warm and soft to the touch.
            I wait for him to calm down.


            He fights it.
            After a few minutes, his eyes begin to droop, but only momentarily.  He perks back up and cocks his head in an attempt to force the blood out and right himself. 
            I let this go on for a while, occasionally running the blunt side of my knife over his throat, so he becomes accustomed to the motion.
            Maybe it’s because he’s so young that he’s able to fight it for so long.
            I am patient, but this can’t go on forever.
            Finally I get ready to make the fatal cut.  Frank’s done this before, and suggests turning the beast away from me so blood doesn’t spurt on me.  Slitting a throat from behind . . . feels a lot like murder.
            I grab his neck and run the blade over his throat, but his feathers are protecting it, so I start sawing through them.
            The first time he jerks, I let go.  Not enough blood has come out.  I didn’t get the jugular.  My knife wasn’t sharp enough.  This is the last thing I wanted to happen.  Frank steps up and holds the wings down so he can’t flap.  I steel myself, and grab his neck again.  This time I go at his throat hard and saw until it’s a bloody mushy mess.
            “He’s gone,” Frank says.  I guess holding him like that, he could feel the heartbeat.
            So that’s it.
            I killed something.
           And to tell the truth, I feel kind of bad about it.
            (And I bet you thought this was gonna be a love story.)


            I’ve got about an hour before rigor mortis starts to set in, so I have to get to work. 
            Frank unties the corpse from the ladder, but leaves the rope around his legs so that I can easily dunk and swirl him around in the hot water. 
            Scalding only takes a few seconds.  I tug on one of his feathers and it comes out effortlessly.  Supposedly if you add a few drops of liquid soap it helps things come apart more smoothly, but I forgot to do that.


            Frank feeds the fire with the box spring that wouldn’t fit up his staircase yesterday.  Upon inspection, we discovered it to be made of cardboard and thin pallet wood.  There is no world in which such material would ever support my 220-pound powerlifter boyfriend, so we lit that bitch on fire, and Frank built a sturdier one out of two-by-fours and plywood.  I helped by supervising (i.e.:  getting drunk). 
            Plucking by hand is tedious; this chicken has very dark feathers, so at least they’re easy to see.  Once he’s naked, it becomes easier to imagine him as dinner. 


            We don’t have a worktable or cutting board set up, so I’m doing all this hunched over a piece of cardboard on the ground.  My back thanks me profusely later on. 
            The head is the first thing to go.  It’s less difficult to eviscerate something when its face isn’t staring at you. 


            Then the feet, at the “ankles”—the first joint above the feet. 
            There’s a gland on the butt that chickens use to lubricate their feathers; that’s gotta go.  Make a cut above the butt and go about one to two inches deep to get the gland out. 
            Next, flip the chicken breast up and make a slice above the neck, which opens a hole for you to get at the crop, which is on the right side, attached to the underside of the skin.  The crop is where the first stages of digestion begin, so usually it’s full of food.  I asked the chicken’s mama to starve him for twelve hours so that it would be empty—makes my work less messy.  Don’t cut the crop out, just sort of pull it away from the skin.  Then pull the air duct and esophagus out of the neck and loosen them within the chest. 


            Now we have to deal with this butt. 
            You have to slice way above the intestines so that you don’t puncture them (then things get really sloppy).  This creates a hole where you can access the body cavity.  There’s some fat right inside there that you pull out.  Then cut around the inside of the butthole, careful to never come in contact with the intestines, less their contents leak out.  I don’t quite get all of it, so I have to go back in and cut out the last section.  A little dab of poop gets on my gloves, but I rinse them and the meat several times to be sure they’re clean.  Finally, stick your hand in the hole, slide it around to loosen everything up, then reach until you feel the air duct and esophagus; grab onto them, and yank everything out. 


I try to scrape the lungs out with my nails, but they are really stuck to the inside of the ribcage and I don’t have a scraping implement with which to get them out. 
            Frank went inside for a few minutes, and he returns to find me playing around with the innards.  I slice open the gizzard to see the bright yellow lining with my own eyes, and find out if there are any stones inside. 
            “My girlfriend . . . so pretty. . . .” he comments, as he often does whenever I do something gross or dumb. 
            Now it’s time to quarter this baby.
            We start with the legs, which are simple enough.  There’s a nice big indent between the body and leg where you need to cut.  Pick the chicken up by the leg, so the body actually weighs it down, and opens up that indent, showing where to cut.  Cut everything away—skin and meat—until the joint reveals itself.  You actually have to break the bone away from the chicken, and then cut it off.


            The wings work the same way. 
            Next the neck needs to come off.  You cut a deep V down into the body from both sides, pull the neck back, break it, twist it, then cut it off.
            Now you skin the breasts.  I actually wound up skinning the whole thing; since it was so hard to hand-pluck, some pieces of feather remained stuck way down in the skin where I couldn’t get to them.  And since the feathers were so dark, that made it look really gross, so I just figured why not skin it all—the one skill that I actually trust my abilities in performing. 


            So, we’re coming to the end; all that’s left are the breasts and tenders.  Chicken tenders, I learned, are not the same as tenderloins on other animals.  The tenders are actually nestled under the breasts, on the outside of the ribcage.  Up till now I thought it was all just part of the breast, and I always cut them off together when serving whole roast chicken. 
            Taking off the wing has already got us started down the path we need to take.  Flip the chicken onto its back with the neck hole facing you.  Cut along the wishbone on one side for maybe a few inches, and you will open up another hole which exposes the breast and the tenderloin.  You can actually just stick your fingers in there and separate them all the way along the spine, then hold it up by the breast and cut it off. 
            There’s a trick to getting the tenders off.  The carcass needs to be spine upwards, and again you will be cutting along the wishbone, but then you cross over the spine and continue the cut all the way down the opposite side.  Do that on both sides, and then you should be able to tear the tender away from the spine and cut it like you did the breast.
            And that’s it!
            What started as a living, breathing being an hour ago is now broken down into every edible portion it produces. 


            The innards are being left outside for the local critters.  Everything else goes inside for a good rinsing, and then goes into a pot of cold water and into the fridge for at least 24 hours.  Frank’s boss wants the neck and feet.  We’re going to use the carcass for stock.  I’m leaving town, so I ask Frank to freeze all the meat until I can come back and cook it.
            It took me so long to complete this whole process that by the time I’m dropping the legs into the pot of water, they’re already beginning to stiffen up and I kind of have to shove them in so they fit. 
            Can you believe that some girls only get roses for Valentine’s Day?

            The Butcher’s Apprentice:  for All Your Amateur Backyard Livestock Slaughter Needs

No comments:

Post a Comment